Students wishing to spend a semester or absolving an internship abroad, should start early with the preparations. This includes the financing of the stay abroad. There are many possibilities to gain financial help. Information about financing your semester abroad are provided at the download section ("Leitfaden für FHW-Studierende, die ein Austausch- oder Praxissemester im Ausland planen").
Before starting your studies in Germany it is important, to think about the financing of the studies in details and inform yourself about different financing possibilities! Often scholarships are limited and do not cover all living expenses for the whole studies in Germany. The social benefit "BAföG" is also only limited available for foreign nationals with a long-term residential perspective in Germany. Therefore the information given about "BAföG" is just available in German.
The following links offer a non binding list of financing possibilities:
- Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz ("BAföG"): www.bafög.de (just available in German language)
- Stipendium Plus - Begabtenförderung im Hochschulbereich: www.stipendiumplus.de (mostly available in German language)
- Stipendienlotse – Die Stipendiendatenbank des BMBF: www.stipendienlotse.de (just available in German language)
- Stipendiendatenbank des Deutschen Akademischen Austauschdienstes (DAAD): www.daad.de/deutschland/stipendium/datenbank/ (available in German and English language)
- Otto Benecke-Stiftung: www.obs-ev.de (just available in German language)
- Bildungsberatung Garantiefonds Hochschule: https://bildungsberatung-gfh.de (just available in German language)
- Reemtsma-Begabtenförderungswerk: https://reemtsma-stipendium.de (just available in German language)
- Dr. Arthur Pfungst-Stiftung: http://pfungst-stiftung.de (just available in German language)
- Kölner Gymnasial- und Stiftungsfond: www.stiftungsfonds.org (just available in German language)
- MTU Studien-Stiftung: www.mtu-studien-stiftung.org (just available in German language)
Each semester a limited number of rooms are reserved at the dormitory of the Studenten-werk Schleswig-Holstein for international students. The rooms are primarily reserved for international students from partner universities of the West Coast University of Applied Sciences as well as for students receiving a scholarship.
The dormitory is located next to the campus and accessible by foot within a few minutes. Available are furnished single rooms in shared flats with german students. The kitchen and bathroom will be shared with the other flat mates, wireless is included in the rent. Further-more washing machines, driers, a cellar for the bicycles and parking spots are provided at the dormitory. The rental agreements are concluded for a complete semester (6 months). The monthly rent per room is between 210,-€ and 235,-€.
If you are interested, please contact the International Office of the West Coast University of Applied Sciences.