On this page you can find
- information for potential international students as well as
- information for students with a refugee-background.
1. Requirements for regular applicants with non-German school or university careers
Please do not send us original certificates, as rejected applications will be destroyed!
The application for admission must be completed with the following documents (as authenticated copies and with their translations, English certificates do not have to be translated):
- copy of the page of your passport including your name and photo
- school leaving certificate, which gives you the right to study in the home country, including a list of subjects with grades
- a certificate for a possibly passed entrance examination (including list of grades)
university report with transcript, if available
- certificate of the so-called "Feststellungsprüfung" (final exam of a Studienkolleg) including list of grades, if available
- complete curriculum vitae
- certificate verifying your language skills (German for German study programs, English for English study programs)
Proof of German language skills:
The necessary language skills for German are regulated by "Rahmenordnung über Deutsche Sprachprüfungen für das Studium an deutschen Hochschulen" (regulatory framework for German language examinations for programs of study at German universities as of 12 December 2007).
The necessary German language skills (according to §2 RO-DT) are certified by the "Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz - Zweite Stufe (DSD II) - or by a certificate which is acknowledged as equal by "Kultusministerkonferenz" (conference of ministers of education and the arts).
Acknowledged as equal are so far:
- "Zeugnis der Deutschen Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber" (DSH) with a minimal total score of DSH-2
- "Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache für ausländische Studienbewerber" (TestDaF) with a result of the minimal level TDN 4 in all four parts of the exam
- "Zeugnis der Prüfung zur Feststellung der Eignung ausländischer Studienbewerber für die Aufnahme eines Studiums an Hochschulen in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland" (Feststellungsprüfung) with the part German passed in the exams at Studienkollegs
- "Das Große Deutsche Sprachdiplom" and "Das Kleine Deutsche Sprachdiplom" which was given by Goethe Institute on behalf of Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich (this certificate has been replaced by the “Goethe-Zertifikat C2” since 01.01.2012)
- Holders of a passed "Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom“ or the "Das Zeugnis der Zentralen Oberstufenprüfung" (ZOP) (which certificate has been replaced by the “Goethe-Zertifikat C2” since 01.01.2012) which was awarded by the Goethe-Institutes or contracted institutions in or outside of Germany
- “Deutsche Sprachprüfung II” by the Sprachen und Dolmetscher Institut in Munich
- Holders of the certificate “telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule”
- Graduates of a German language studies course in connection with a corresponding language test. In borderline cases, the Student Advisory Service, the International Office as well as the Chancellor of the West Coast University of Applied Sciences can give their opinion on the validity of the acceptance of the language skills (case-by-case decision).
- The following certifications which are acknowledged through bilateral or other agreements by Kultusministerkonferenz or Hochschulrektorenkonfenz:
- German included in the Diplome du Baccalauréat after attendance of a bilingual German-French branch of a secondary school
- US-Advanced-Placement-exam (AP-Prüfung) in the subject "German"
- school leaving certificate after graduation from a secondary school in the German speaking community of the Kingdom of Belgium
- school leaving certificates from secondary schools in Luxemburg
- "Reifezeugnis" of schools with German as teaching language from the autonomical province of Bozen-Südtirol (Italy)
- the school leaving certificate of the German international branch at Liceo Gimnasiale "Luigi Galvani" in Bologna,
- the bilingual leaving certificate from German School Dublin, St. Kilian’s.
- the school leaving certificate of the bilingual department of the Liceo Ginnasio Statale “Romagnosi” in Parma and the Liceo Classico Statale Socrate in Bari
According to § 8 (3) RO-DT applicants for English programs of study at the West Coast University of Applied Sciences are not required to prove any German skills. This will be mentioned on the exmatriculation receipt. The exam regulations define the required proof of English language skills. The above named exception from the proof of sufficient German language skills are under the condition, that students participate in courses to obtain a sufficient level of German language skills and to provide appropriate certification of successful participation after one semester. The university recommends appropriate providers of German courses.
According to §7 (3) RO-DT , §8 (2) RO-DT and §38 (6) HSG, exchange students of partner universities abroad do not have to provide certification of German language skills. The West Coast University of Applied Sciences agrees upon a preparation program with partner universities for their students' stay in Germany, which includes learning of the German language if skills were not proven yet.
The West Coast University of Applied Sciences enables applicants to receive the TestDaF-examination in collaboration with Nordkolleg Rendsburg. More information on www.nordkolleg.de.
Applications from China and Vietnam:
Applications from the People's Republic of China and Vietnam will only be considered if you handed in your certificates for examination at the so-called "Akademische Prüfstelle". Please send one original (no copy) of the result with your application materials to the West Coast University of Applied Sciences, Germany. When you receive your acceptance letter, you need to apply for your visa at the APS (China) or the German embassy (Vietnam).
Address of the APS in China:
Kulturreferat der Deutschen Botschaft Peking
Landmark Tower 2, 8 Dongsanhuanbeilu, Büro 0311
Chaoyang District, 100004 Beijing
Tel.: 010 6590 7138 - Fax: 010 65907140
Application for higher study semesters:
Applications for higher study semesters can only be taken into consideration if there are vacant places. Should there be more applications than study places, there will be a selection process.
For students, who change the university within Germany:
If you are applying for a higher study semester at the West Coast University of Applied Sciences and have already been enrolled at another university in Germany, please hand in the marks you have got so far (transcripts, end of term reports) to the Admissions Office. You will then be placed into the appropriate semester. Please hand in the documents mentioned at the beginning of this page and additionally:
- Enrollment certificate as original or officially authenticated copy, from which can be seen:
- program of study and grade
- the number of semesters already studied
- if and since when you are finally or temporarily enrolled
- evidences of academic achievements (i.e. certificates about successful participation in mandatory courses, including full study semesters) as photocopies and certified translations
2. Students who change the program of study or who want to have their credits from abroad acknowledged
If you apply for a higher study semester in a program of study, for which you have not yet finally enrolled, please hand in the following documents:
- Enrollment certificate as original or officially authenticated copy in which the following information can be found:
- the program of study and grade
- the number of full study semesters
- Transcript of Records as original or officially authenticated copy certifying the number of semesters studied an in which can be seen from which point the same program if the same program of study can be continued. The condition is that acknowledgeable exams and study times can be found in the report.
Please take into account that the West Coast University of Applied Sciences cannot provide scholarships.
3. After acceptance
If you received an acceptance from the West Coast University of Applied Sciences you must first of all apply for a visa at the German diplomatic representation in your home country (if you are not EU-citizen). Furthermore you must organize your accommodation from abroad.
You can apply for a room in the student dormitory at www.studentenwerk.sh/en.
Upon arrival in Heide you should take the following steps (AStA and the International Office assist you, therefor we recommend that you contact us first):
- Enrollment at university
- Registation at the Foreiger Registration Office for Kreis Dithmarschen
- Registration at the Aliens Authority for Kreis Dithmarschen
- if necessary, opening a German bank account
- Consulting the academic advisors in your faculty regarding the courses you wish to attend