Dear employees, students and guests of FH Westcoast,
In the following we will inform you about all developments concerning the university in connection with the Corona pandemic. The university has convened a crisis committee, which meets weekly with the participation of the students in order to assess the current situation and derive measures.
Please note that currently all students returning from abroad have to guarantee a 14-day quarantine (see below) in self-imposed, domestic isolation and are not allowed to enter the university or have personal contact with university members during this period.
If the gradual opening of the campus should make it possible to be present on the campus again, this will only affect events such as laboratories in the technical courses of study in the summer semester 2020, where the presence of students is indispensable. There will be comprehensive hygienic requirements and specifications for these courses, compliance with which is an absolute prerequisite for being able to offer courses here at all.
However, regular lectures in attendance will no longer be held at the entire university this semester. The principle is: What can be taught digitally, must also be taught digitally.
The examinations, which had to be postponed in March (SoSe I) will be made up for as follows, subject to new decrees issued by the state:
- Department of Economics: from 11th to 29th May
- Department of Technology: Mainly in July 2020 and in exceptional cases also in May (11. - 29.5.20)
Further information in the area of testing. The district of Dithmarschen allows students to travel to and use accommodation (whether a first or second home) in the district for the purpose of taking part in teaching and exams at FH Westcoast.
Wherever possible, all administrative tasks shall continue to be carried out from the home office until further notice. Stays at the university are to be limited to what is absolutely necessary; hygiene and distance requirements are to be observed.
All regulations concerning home office/teleworking, time recording and all other official matters will be extended until 10 May inclusive.
If the regulations of the state allow the opening of the library, this will be done after a consultation at the university and under strict conditions.
In the following collection of keywords you will find the current status of the respective topic and the most frequently asked questions. We hope that this information will help us to overcome the crisis together.
The Executive Board of FH Westcoast
06 Mai 2020
- Restructuring of this website
Students Faculty of Economics
The Dean's Office of the Faculty of Economics has agreed as follows:
- Students will, as far as possible, continue the internship semester they have begun.
- If an interruption of the practical semester should become necessary, for example because the practical semester ends or because a departure from abroad is necessary due to the Corona crisis, students will be given the opportunity to continue the practical semester in a following semester, taking into account the time already completed in that year.
- If students have not yet started the practical semester and cannot start it due to the current situation, we recommend that they complete the practical semester in the 6th semester and bring the lecture contents of the 6th semester forward to the 4th semester. If you have any questions about bringing the modules of the 6th semester forward, please contact the programme coordinators. In some cases, the programme coordinators are already preparing appropriate information/leaflets for you.
- The examination board is requested by the department to waive the requirement of a fully completed practical semester for the students concerned (according to numbers 2 and 3) when registering for the Bachelor thesis.
- Only in the event that the regulations described above lead to unreasonable hardship for the students, the department shall, upon application by the affected student, open up the possibility of preparing an academic paper instead of the practical semester. The application must be justified and sent to the Dean of the Department of Economics (haack(at)fh-westkueste.de).
FAQ - Students Department of Economics / Practical Semester
- Can the remaining time of the internship semester be completed in Germany, although a semester abroad is actually to be completed?
Yes, but this exception is limited to the summer semester 2020.
- Should it be possible to complete the internship parallel to the BA? Would it be possible to relax the attendance requirement for BA seminars?
We will give students who start their practical semester in the 6th semester the opportunity to attend Bachelor's seminars online. This should enable students to run both the practical semester and the Bachelor thesis in parallel. This approach would also have the welcome side effect that very practical Bachelor theses could be written.
- What is unreasonable hardship?
There is no fixed catalogue for this. It is examined in each individual case whether an unreasonable hardness exists.
- I would like to bring forward modules from the 6th semester, but I have no place to live in Heide anymore. Can the modules still be taken online until the end of the semester, even if the attendance courses start again after Easter?
From the dean's point of view there is no reason why not. However, it cannot be guaranteed for every module that online teaching will continue until the end of the semester. In this respect, the commitment of the students may be required.
In addition, it is not yet certain whether the attendance courses will actually start again with the end of 19.4.2020. In this respect, we must leave this question open at the moment. Please be assured that the university is making every effort to find a solution in the interest of the students in the current situation.
- Is it possible to take online courses of the 6th semester or the 2nd semester in addition to the practical semester or a substitute performance?
This is not possible because the workload for students is regularly limited to 30 ECTS per semester. This is a protective regulation in favour of the students to avoid an excessive workload.
- Is it okay if my internship semester company reduces the workload due to the corona crisis? Is my internship semester still valid then?
In principle, the internship semester must be completed full-time. If the internship semester company reduces the working hours due to the current situation, this is basically okay, as long as the training goals are achieved and the internship semester relationship remains in place.
- How do I write my report if I had to interrupt my internship and will make up the rest in a year's time?
The weeks already completed are part of the 20 total weeks and must be mentioned in the report. You will then write two reports of a length suitable for the number of weeks. If you are doing your internship at two different companies, you already hand in the first part to the supervising person. If it is the same company, a general report (divided into two parts) can be handed in at the end of the 20 weeks.
- Can missing weeks in the semester break be made up?
Yes, this is possible.
- Is it possible to shorten the 20 weeks?
No, these must be completed in full. For basic handling see above under 3).
- What do students do who are currently still in their internship semester, but are uncertain whether they can continue their internship due to the current situation and should rather go into the 6th semester?
This is something that everyone has to decide for themselves. The more advanced the 6th semester is, the more difficult and complicated it is to start. A prompt decision is therefore advisable.
Students Faculty of Engineering
Students of the Faculty of Engineering who are going to do an internship semester in WS2020/21 can get all information about the internship semester via the Moodle page internship semester in the Faculty of Engineering. All corresponding students are requested to register on this Moodle page (is a prerequisite for admission to the practical semester).
Application forms for the Bachelor thesis can be sent in advance by e-mail to the Examination Office. The original application must be submitted by post. The examination office will ensure the forwarding within the FH Westcoast.
The examination board has decided to admit all students who had registered for examinations for the March examination date to the final thesis, if only these examinations are missing for the admission to the Bachelor thesis.
Colloquia will not take place in attendance until at least 10 May. Digital alternatives are possible in coordination with the responsible persons.
If you have not yet registered for the BT, please contact your first examiner to further coordinate the procedure. If you have already registered and your processing time is delayed due to the current situation, an extension is possible upon request to the Examination Office. You will find the application form at: https://www.fh-westkueste.de/fileadmin/Dateien/Studierende/Pruefungen/Formulare/BA_MA_verlaengerung_bearbeitung.pdf
The federal government has held out the prospect of adapting BAföG regulations to the situation in order to avoid disadvantages for students. Please inform yourself about this regularly at www.bafög.de or on the website of the Studentenwerk https://www.fh-westkueste.de/campus-service/rat-hilfe/bafoeg-beratung/.
The library is closed until at least 10 May.
Reminder fees will be suspended, existing loan periods will be extended automatically. All books currently on loan can remain with the current borrowers until 10 May, regardless of the loan period.
Employees and students are kindly requested to address their enquiries and order requests for e-book purchases directly to the library at bibo(at)fh-westkueste.de.
A budget is available for further e-book purchases in the current situation. However, order requests will be prioritized according to urgency and usability for multiple users.
If you have any questions regarding our online offer, please contact bibo(at)fh-westkueste.de.
Like other respiratory pathogens, infection with the novel coronavirus can lead to symptoms such as coughing, rhinitis, neck scratching and fever, and some sufferers also suffer from diarrhoea.
As with influenza and other acute respiratory tract infections, coughing and sneezing etiquette, good hand hygiene and distance (at least 1.5 m) also protect against transmission of the new coronavirus.
If a member of staff in the office learns that he or she has had direct contact with a person infected with the coronavirus, the following procedure must be followed:
The employee immediately informs his or her superiors and the personnel department by telephone and goes home immediately. If no car or bicycle is available for the journey home, a collection from home should be considered. It is important to make the return trip as non-contact as possible; public transport is therefore not an option. In case of doubt, the public health department should be contacted. The employee concerned will stay at home for 14 days, unless the health office or the office informs otherwise. If symptoms of illness occur, contact the family doctor immediately by telephone. The department will inform the responsible health office immediately after becoming aware of the problem.
In addition, the following note again:
Employees who show unspecific general symptoms or respiratory problems - regardless of their severity or severity - and who have had relevant contact with a proven coronavirus sufferer in the last 14 days before the start of the illness, or who show unspecific general symptoms or respiratory problems and who have been abroad in the last 14 days before the start of the illness, are considered unfit for work and are therefore not allowed to appear for work. The employees affected are obliged to contact their general practitioner or the medical on-call service by telephone on 116 117 immediately in order to clarify the presence of a coronavirus infection without delay. Irrespective of the occurrence of symptoms of illness, employees who have had contact with a person with coronavirus infection within the last 14 days must immediately contact their local health authority.
- Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians: Telephone number 116 117.
- Hotline of the Independent Patient Advisory Service Germany on Coronavirus: 0800/ 011 77 22
- Citizens' telephone of the Federal Ministry of Health: 030/ 346 465 100
- Before you visit a practice or a hospital, please make an appointment by telephone. This is important so that you can be admitted in isolation and not infect other people.
- Health office in Heide: Phone: 0481 7854 900; Esmarchstr. 50; 25746 Heide
- Inform the Fachhochschule Westküste immediately at: personal(at)fh-westkueste.de to coordinate the further procedure.
Business trips may be undertaken at the discretion of the office, provided that they are absolutely necessary for the performance of the official duties and the hygiene recommendations of the Federal Ministry of Health are observed. The decision in individual cases is the responsibility of the head of the department. In view of the risk situation, a very strict standard must be applied to the permit. For this reason, business trips that are not absolutely necessary should be avoided in principle.
Until at least 10 May, there will be no face-to-face events on the university campus. Reliable statements about courses and practical parts that require presence on campus can only be made from 30 April at the earliest. FH Westcoast is in contact with the Ministry of Science and the other universities of the country as well as with the local health authority.
The FB Wirtschaft has compiled the detailed questions of the FBW lecturers and collected them in an FAQ, which is continuously updated. It can be found at: https://moodle.fh-westkueste.de/course/view.php?id=1301
The examinations, which had to be postponed in March (SoSe I), will be made up as follows, subject to new decrees of the state:
- Department of Economics: from 11 to 29 May
- Department of Technology: Mainly in July 2020 and in exceptional cases also in May (11.-29.5.20)
The organisation of the audits is currently being prepared. It is planned to carry out only those examinations in attendance that must be carried out in attendance. All other examinations will be held online (oral or written). This means that there will be changes to the examination formats for the majority of the examinations on the above-mentioned catch-up date. The departments are currently preparing an overview for their degree programmes, which will show the updated examination formats valid for the catch-up date. This will be made available on the website shortly.
Furthermore, the examination board of FH Westcoast decided on 23 March that all students who had registered for examinations for the above-mentioned date will be admitted to the final thesis, provided that only these examinations are still missing.
On April 21, 2020, the Presidential Board of FH Westcoast decided that the obligation to have a medical certificate in case of absence from a registered exam is lifted. However, this exemption only applies to the examination period SoSe I 2020. This exemption expressly does not apply to a withdrawal from an examination that has already begun.
Cancellations for the examinations from 11 to 29 May are not necessary (see also the suspended obligation to obtain a certificate). If students fail to appear despite registration, the examiner will note "n.e." for "not appeared" in the grade entry list. The Examinations Office then automatically records an approved withdrawal.
The examination office can be reached under the following e-mail: pruefungsamt(at)fh-westkueste.de
- Quarantine is considered an approved absence from service (§67 S.1 LBG in conjunction with the Infection Protection Act/lfSG). As far as the service in quarantine can be provided, e.g. by teleworking, this must be provided.
- Civil servants have a duty of notification to the employer. We therefore ask you to contact the personnel department in order to coordinate the concrete procedure.
- The salary will continue to be paid.
- In case of illness, there is a separate duty to notify the employer in accordance with the usual regulations at FH Westcoast.
- Quarantine is considered an approved absence from work (§616 BGB in conjunction with IfSG). As far as the service in quarantine can be provided, e.g. by teleworking, this must be provided.
- Employees covered by collective bargaining agreements have a duty of notification to the employer. We therefore ask you to contact the personnel department in order to coordinate the concrete procedure.
- In case of illness, there is a separate obligation to report sick in accordance with the usual regulations at the FH West Coast.
- Remuneration is paid for the first six weeks; after that, there is a claim for compensation according to the IfSG.
- Affected students contact the university by e-mail (personal(at)fh-westkueste.de) and agree on the further individual procedure.
Many typical student jobs are currently not possible; support is urgently sought elsewhere - please refer to the offers and advice of the state at https://www.schleswig-holstein.de/DE/Landesregierung/I/_startseite/Artikel2020/I/200324_corona_hilfe_ehrenamt.html
Due to current events, we would like to point out that meetings and appointments on campus, e.g. for parties or non-official meetings of any kind, are strictly prohibited. Violations must and will be consistently reported to the regulatory authorities.