International Applicants

Welcome to the West Coast University of Applied Sciences (FH Westküste)!

Please notice: The information on this website is for degree-seeking students. Please see section "Exchange Students" for semester exchanges.

For all full degree programmes, please apply via our online application portal.


Please do not send us original certificates, as rejected applications will be destroyed!
The application for admission must be completed with the following documents (as authenticated copies and with their translations, English certificates do not have to be translated):

  • copy of the page of your passport including your name and photo
  • school leaving certificate, which gives you the right to study in the home country, including a list of subjects with grades
  • a certificate for a possibly passed entrance examination (including list of grades) university report with transcript, if available
  • certificate of  the so-called "Feststellungsprüfung" (final exam of a Studienkolleg) including list of grades, if available
  • complete curriculum vitae
  • certificate verifying your language skills (German for German study programs, English for English study programs)

Further information for applicants with a flight background without certificates:


Proof of German language skills:
For all German-taught study programmes, you need to hand in proof of German level C1 CEFR with your application documents (exception: Automation Technology M.Sc. , B2).
Acknowledged as equal to German C1 CEFR are:

  • "Zeugnis der Deutschen Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber" (DSH) with a minimal total score of DSH-2
  • "Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache für ausländische Studienbewerber" (TestDaF) with a result of the minimal level TDN 4 in all four parts of the exam
  • "Zeugnis der Prüfung zur Feststellung der Eignung ausländischer Studienbewerber für die Aufnahme eines Studiums an Hochschulen in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland" (Feststellungsprüfung) with the part German passed in the exams at Studienkollegs
  • "Das Große Deutsche Sprachdiplom" and "Das Kleine Deutsche Sprachdiplom" which was given by Goethe Institute on behalf of Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich (this certificate has been replaced by the “Goethe-Zertifikat C2” since 01.01.2012)
  • Holders of a passed "Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom“ or the "Das Zeugnis der Zentralen Oberstufenprüfung" (ZOP) (which certificate has been replaced by the “Goethe-Zertifikat C2” since 01.01.2012) which was awarded by the Goethe-Institutes or contracted institutions in or outside of Germany
  • “Deutsche Sprachprüfung II” by the Sprachen und Dolmetscher Institut in Munich
  • Holders of the certificate “telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule”
  • Graduates of a German language studies course in connection with a corresponding language test. In borderline cases, the Student Advisory Service, the International Office as well as the Chancellor of the West Coast University of Applied Sciences can give their opinion on the validity of the acceptance of the language skills (case-by-case decision).
  • The following certifications which are acknowledged through bilateral  or other agreements by Kultusministerkonferenz or Hochschulrektorenkonfenz:
  1. German included in the Diplome du Baccalauréat after attendance of a bilingual German-French branch of a secondary school
  2. French Diplome du Baccalauréat with option internationale of the German departements
  3. European „Abitur“ exam of the European Schools with a successfully completed final exam in German as a first (L1) or second language (L2)
  4. US-Advanced-Placement-exam (AP-Prüfung) in the subject "German"
  5. School leaving certificate after graduation from a secondary school in the German speaking community of the Kingdom of Belgium
  6. School leaving certificates from secondary schools in Luxemburg
  7. "Reifezeugnis" of schools with German as teaching language from the autonomical province of Bozen-Südtirol (Italy)
  8. School leaving certificate from the international departement of German language of the Liceo Gimnasiale „Luigi Galvani“ in Bologna (Italy)
  9. School leaving certificate from the international departement of German language of the Liceo Gimnasio Statale „M.Gioia“ in Piacenza (Italy)
  10. School leaving certificate from the international departement of German language of the“Educandato Statale Collegio Uccelis“ in Udine (Italy)
  11. Bilingual leaving certificate from German School Dublin St. Kilian’s (Ireland)
  12. School leaving certificate of the bilingual department of the Liceo Ginnasio Statale “Romagnosi” in Parma (Italy) and the Liceo Classico Statale Socrate in Bari (Italy)
  13. School leaving certificate from the international departement of German language oft he Scuola Internazionale Europea „A. Spinelli“ in Turin (Italy)
  14. School leaving certificate from the international departement of German language of the Liceo Classico „Guiseppe Garibaldi“ in Neapel (Italy)
  15. School leaving certificate from the international departement of German language of the Liceo Classico Statale „Umberto I“ in Palermo (Italy)
  16. Polish „Matura“ exam in German language of a general grammar school with a bilingual branch with German as second teaching language

The necessary language skills for German are regulated by the regulatory framework for German language examinations for programmes of study at German universities ("Rahmenordnung über Deutsche Sprachprüfungen für das Studium an deutschen Hochschulen; RO-DT, Beschluss der HRK vom 08.06.2004 und der KMK vom 25.06.2004") in its currently valid version in combination with the appendix of the resolution of the Conference of Ministers of Arts and Culture of 2nd June 1995 in its currently valid version („Anhang zum Beschluss der Kultusministerkonferenz vom 2. Juni 1995“).
The necessary German language skills (according to §2 RO-DT) are certified by the "Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz - Zweite Stufe (DSD II) - or by a certificate which is acknowledged as equal by "Kultusministerkonferenz" (conference of ministers of education and the arts). (Exception: According to the examination regulations (“Prüfungsordnung”) in the Master degree course of study Automation Technology applicants have to prove sufficient German language skills at the level B2 within the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, CEFR.)

According to § 8 (3) RO-DT applicants for English programs of study at the West Coast University of Applied Sciences are not required to prove any German skills. This will be mentioned on the exmatriculation receipt. The exam regulations define the required proof of English language skills. The above named exception from the proof of sufficient German language skills are under the condition, that students participate in courses to obtain a sufficient level of German language skills and to provide appropriate certification of successful participation after one semester. The university recommends appropriate providers of German courses.
According to §7 (3) RO-DT , §8 (2) RO-DT and §38 (6) HSG, exchange students of partner universities abroad do not have to provide certification of German language skills. The West Coast University of Applied Sciences agrees upon a preparation program with partner universities for their students' stay in Germany, which includes learning of the German language if skills were not proven yet.
The West Coast University of Applied Sciences enables applicants to receive the TestDaF-examination in collaboration with Nordkolleg Rendsburg. More information on


or admission to the English language Master’s programme, candidates must have sufficient knowledge of the English language. Proof of sufficient knowledge of English for applicants whose native language is not English, or whose first degree was not completely conducted in English, must be provided in the form of a minimum level of achievement of B2 based on the Common European Framework of References for Languages (CEFR) in an internationally recognised standardised test. Only the following language certificates with the associated scores are accepted as proof of English ability:

  • Paper Based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT) with min. 567 points
  • Internet Based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) with min. 87 points
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with min. level of Band 6
  • Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) with min. 173 points
  • Cambridge First English Certificate (FCE) with at least grade B
  • Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) with min. 785 points
  • University Certificate (UNIcert) with min. level of II
  • Business Language Testing Service (BULATS) with min. 68 points

It is possible to successfully complete the course without knowledge of the German language. If your previous degree was taught in English, please hand in a confirmation about the course language from your university with your application.


Applications from China, Vietnam and India:
Applications from the People's Republic of China, Vietnam and India will only be considered if you handed in your certificates for examination at the so-called "Akademische Prüfstelle". Please send one original (no copy) of the result with your application materials to the West Coast University of Applied Sciences, Germany. When you receive your acceptance letter, you need to apply for your visa at the APS (China, India) or the German embassy (Vietnam). Please apply as soon as possible as the APS process can take several weeks.

Address of the APS in China:
Kulturreferat der Deutschen Botschaft Peking
Akademische Prüfstelle
DRC Building D1, 1302
19 Dongfang Donglu,
Chaoyang District
100600 Beijing

Abgabe von Visaanträgen in Peking:
Von 08.30 Uhr bis 11.00 Uhr
Mo./Di.: C- und D-Verfahren, TestAS
Mi.: P-, N- und S-Verfahren
Do./Fr.: A-Verfahren

Abgabe von Visaanträgen in Shanghai:
Von 08.30 Uhr bis 11.00 Uhr
Mo./Di./Do.: A- /C- /G- /D- Verfahren / TestAS
Mi.: A- /D- /P- /S- /N- Verfahren

E-mail: info(at)

Address of the APS in Vietnam:
Deutsche Botschaft Hanoi, APS
29 Tran Phu, Q. Ba Dinh
Telefon: +84 24 32673361    

Address of the APS in India:
Academic Evaluation Centre
Gate No. 3, DLTA Complex
R.K. Khanna Stadium
1 Africa Avenue
110029 New Delhi


Applicants for admission to higher semesters

If you wish to continue your ongoing studies at the West Coast University of Applied Sciences and apply for a higher study semester, please apply via our application portal and upload the following documents:

  • Enrolment certificate as original or officially authenticated copy in which the following information can be found:
    • the program of study and grade
    • the number of full study semesters
  • Transcript of Records as original or officially authenticated copy certifying the number of  semesters studied an in which can be seen from which point the same program if the same  program of study can be continued. The condition is that acknowledgeable exams and study times can be found in the report.

Please take into account that the West Coast University of Applied Sciences cannot provide scholarships.

After acceptance
If you received an acceptance from the West Coast University of Applied Sciences, you must first of all apply for a visa at the German diplomatic representation in your home country (if you are not EU-citizen). Furthermore, you must organize your accommodation from abroad.
You can find information about our student dormitory at (you need to open the dropdown menu to find our information). You can apply for a room in the student dormitory at You can switch the page language to English by clicking on the English flag in the top right corner.

Upon arrival in Heide you should take the following steps (AStA and the International Office assist you, therefore we recommend that you contact us first):

  1. Enrolment at university (if not conducted online)
  2. Get your landlord certificate (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung) for your registration with the town
  3. Registration with the town hall in Heide (Bürgerbüro)
  4. If necessary, opening a German bank account
  5. Registation at the Foreigner Registration Office for Kreis Dithmarschen


You can reach us via e-mail or telephone.

We offer consultation via telephone or video call or personal consultation at our office. Please make an appointment for your personal consultation beforehand.

In case you wish to make an appointment, please let us know…

  • Why you'd like to talk to us
  • When you are available
  • How we can reach you (phone number)

…and we'll contact you as soon as possible.

Anne-Katrin Beck, M.A.
Head of Strategy in Internationalization
Focus: Incoming Students, Refugees

+49 (0) 481 8555-173

+49 (0) 481 8555-101