The study program International Tourism Management (ITM) has been offered as a bachelor and master’s degree program at the FHW since the winter semester 2004/2005. The standard period of study for the Bachelor is 6 semesters with the Master’s requiring an additional 4 semesters on top. The study program always begins in the winter semester. During the course, the ITM students must spend at least one semester abroad. The fourth semester is planned as an internship semester. This means that the semester abroad could be linked to the internship or/and be completed at one of our partner universities.
Further information about the course structure can be obtained from the course structure page.
What the FTW offers you in the field of ITM:
The ITM course provides a high level of expertise and gives you a solid university education that both qualifies you for the international job market and helps you to acquire the necessary skills for your future professional life and career. Here ITM stand for:
I ... for International and Interdisciplinary
- Special language training (Business English and Spanish)
- Lectures are partially held in English
- Cooperation with foreign universities e.g. in Argentina, China, France, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Russia, South Africa, and many more.
- Compulsory internship semester
- Interdisciplinary approach to tourism
T ... for Tourism and Teamwork
- Basic education in tourism and opportunities to specialise in fields of interest.
- Social competence through teamwork, presentations and communication skills
M ... for Management, Methodology and Modularisation
- Management skills through focusing on business administration
- Methods of scientific research
- Optimal choice through modularisation
Reason for ITM
Best study conditions
- Tight integration with business
- Effective learning in small groups
- Experienced, dedicated lecturers
Attractive research fields
- Cooperation with the German Institute for Tourism Research
- National and international network
- Research projects in collaboration with students
Numerous possible applications following graduation. Among others:
- Hotel, aviation and transportation companies
- Cultural and leisure facilities
- Exhibition, event and congress organisers
- Travel agencies and tour operators
- Associations and tourist institutions
Which companies, institutions and organisations you’ll end up working in after the completion of your studies is largely dependent upon your choice of majors. Therefore, please inform yourself about the different majors available on the respective webpages for each major.
- Schleswig-Holstein is one of the top 3 destinations in German tourism with tourism being one of the most important economic sectors.
- Heide has easy access to tourist destinations such as St. Peter-Ording and Busum and...
- ... is part of the Hamburg metropolitan region.
This site is for our international exchange and Master students and provides information around the organisation of a semester abroad at the Wect Coast University.
Concerning the German language course please read the following information:
|Degree:||Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)|
|Standard length of course:||6 semesters|
|Internship semester:||4th semester (abroad)|
|Application by:||15th July|
|Semester contribution:||75,00 €|
|Associated FHW Masters:||International Tourism Management|
|Further info:||course language: German|
What is the ITM office and questions you might have
Under the supervision of Dr. phil. Tim Harms, who is responsible for the study program ITM Bachelor, the employees of the ITM office help students organizing and managing their studies and are contact personen for all questions and problems. Currently, there are two employees working for the ITM student's office.
We were students of the study program ITM (Bachelor and Master). Therefore, we are familiar with both sides of the study: the student's perspective as well as well as the coordinator's perspective.
Problems can be a first step to improvement. It is through solving them, thatprogress can be made and your study environment can be enhanced, which is our main objective.
Please, don't hesitate to ask us any questions. We always try to help and support you as best as we can and find solutions for any of your problems.
Best wishes and good luck with your studies!
ITM student's office
+49 481 8555-507
+49 481 8555-121
The ITM is occupied on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9:00am - 12:00pm and from 13:00pm - 14:00pm.