The study programme International Tourism Management (ITM) has been offered as a bachelor‘s and master’s degree programme at the West Coast UAS since the winter semester of 2004/2005. The standard period of study for the bachelor‘s programme is 6 semesters with the master’s programme requiring an additional 4 semesters on top. The study programme always begins in the winter semester. During their studies, the ITM students must spend at least one semester abroad. The fourth semester is planned as an internship semester. This means that the semester abroad could be linked to the internship or/and be completed at one of our partner universities.
Further information about the course structure can be obtained from the course structure page.
What the West Coast UAS offers you in the field of ITM:
The ITM courses provides a high level of expertise and gives you a solid university education that both qualifies you for the international job market and helps you to acquire the necessary skills for your future professional life and career. Here, ITM stands for:
I ... for International and Interdisciplinary
- Special language training (Business English and Spanish)
- Lectures are partially held in English
- Cooperation with foreign universities e.g. in Argentina, China, France, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Russia, South Africa, and many more.
- Compulsory internship semester
- Interdisciplinary approach to tourism
T ... for Tourism and Teamwork
- Basic education in tourism and opportunities to specialise in fields of interest.
- Social competence through teamwork, presentations and communication skills
M ... for Management, Methodology and Modularisation
- Management skills through focusing on business administration
- Methods of scientific research
- Optimal choice through modularisation
|Degree||Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)|
|Faculty||Faculty of Business Studies|
|ECTS / Credits||180|
|Language of instruction||German|
|Starting in||Winter semester|
|Semester fee||75,00 €|
|Dates and Deadlines|
|Start of lectures||Please check the exact dates at https://www.fh-westkueste.de/studierende/termine/|
|Application period||30th April - 15th July|
|Duration in semesters||6|
|1st semester||Basics and language courses|
|2nd semester||Basics and language courses|
|3rd semester||Basics and language courses and elective courses and focus|
|4th semester||Internship semester (abroad)|
|5th semester||Elective courses and focus and language courses;|
optional: semester abroad at a partner university
|6th semester||Elective courses and Thesis|
|Admission requirements||advanced technical college entrance qualification (Fachhochschulreife) or general qualification for university entrance (Abitur)|
German C1 certificate
For detailed requirements for international applicants please check https://en.fh-westkueste.de/en/international/incoming-students/international-applicants/
|Areas of specialization||Tourism:|
Digitalization in Tourism
Tourism and Sustainability
City and Regional Development
Tour Operator Management
Human Resources Management
Reasons for ITM
Best study conditions
- Tight integration with business
- Effective learning in small groups
- Experienced, dedicated lecturers
Attractive research fields
- Cooperation with the German Institute for Tourism Research
- National and international network
- Research projects in collaboration with students
Numerous possible applications following graduation. Among others:
- Hotel, aviation and transportation companies
- Cultural and leisure facilities
- Exhibition, event and congress organisers
- Travel agencies and tour operators
- Associations and tourist institutions
Which companies, institutions and organisations you’ll end up working in after the completion of your studies is largely dependent upon your choice of majors. Therefore, please inform yourself about the different majors available on the respective webpages for each major.
- Schleswig-Holstein is one of the top 3 destinations in German tourism with tourism being one of the most important economic sectors.
- Heide has easy access to tourist destinations such as St. Peter-Ording and Busum and...
- ... is part of the Hamburg metropolitan region.
This site is for our international exchange and Master students and provides information around the organisation of a semester abroad at the West Coast University.
Concerning the German language course please read the following information: https://en.fh-westkueste.de/en/international/incoming-students/
What is the ITM office and questions you might have
Under the supervision of Dr. phil. Tim Harms, who is responsible for the tourism study programmes ITM Bachelor and Master, the employees of the ITM office help students organizing and managing their studies and are contact persons for all questions and problems. Currently, there are two employees working for the ITM student's office.
We were students of the study programme ITM (Bachelor and Master) ourselves. Therefore, we are familiar with both sides of the studies: the student's perspective as well as well as the coordinator's perspective.
Problems can be a first step to improvement. It is through solving them, thatprogress can be made and your study environment can be enhanced, which is our main objective.
Please, don't hesitate to ask us any questions. We always try to help and support you as best as we can and find solutions for any of your problems.
Best wishes and good luck with your studies!
ITM student's office
+49 481 8555-579
+49 481 8555-121
Building: 3.3 Room: 0.106
- Monday & Thursday 09:00-12:00
- Wednesday 10:00-12:00 and 13:00-16:00
- Tuesday & Friday closed